How to Create an Online Course

OR IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A COURSE, WHY DID YOU CREATE ONE?

First of all, give yourself a high five for committing to creating your online course! Sharing your knowledge, expertise and talents with the world is a noble act.

You’re being brave and putting yourself out there. That’s awesome!

You’re entering the world of online teachers, all while working from your laptop.

We live in an amazing time right now.

You can teach thousands without standing in front of a classroom.

You can change other people’s lives.

You can inspire them. Motivate them. Help them.

I am beyond proud of you. Most likely you’re a busy mom and creating an online course is one thing you’ve added to your already full plate.

This is going to be hard work – but it will be so worth it!

By the end of this journey, you will be a different person. And bonus, you’ll have an online product to share with the world.

I’m here to help you create, launch and grow your online course.

You can do this! Let’s go!

Because I want you to be as successful as you can be. You need to complete the following action.

This step by seem so trivial, but trust me, it really really works. I want you to write down your big WHY for creating your online course. Or if you’ve already started creating your course, but you need a bit more motivation to keep going, write down your big goal in the comments below.

Because people with written goals are 50% more likely to achieve than people without goals.

And additionally, sharing your goals with a friend (like me) is proven to increase the chances of you achieving your goal. [Read more here]

I share my goals frequently with those around me, and it helps keep me accountable. This small step has allowed me to grow a super successful blog in less than a year, and you can do it too.

So please, write down your BIG WHY in the comments below.

I’m excited to help you on this amazing journey of becoming a successful online teacher!

xo, Suzi

Create Your Online Course

Now that you have your big goal written down! Create your course step by step with Course by Number.

49 Comments

1. Lorelei Worland

I want to save for my special-need son’s adulthood, without spending his childhood working around the clock! My course deadline is September 1st.

You can do it! Follow the productivity tips 🙂

2. Brittany Thompson

My big why is because I want to pay for my business tools for my side jobs. Its about $400 a month in tools I currently need for managing my business and I want to not feel that strain. I also want to free myself from trading hours for dollars. My goal Due Date is September 15th.

• Suzi Whitford

Yes! You can do it Brittany – I like that your goal is measurable!

3. Jessica McKenna

My big WHY (part one) is to have time freedom to fully enjoy time with my daughter in a meaningful way and to show her that following your dreams is a worthy path and that her passions are worth pursuing – having the finances to follow my dreams (see part 2) and be available for my daughter is a huge driver.

And (part two) is to enrich the lives of moms with little ones at home, by taking away the mom guilt when it comes to their child’s education. I want to support their journey in preparing their child for school and reinforcing that learning at home (quickly and easily and without overwhelm) to allow kids to truly be who they are: natural investigators.

I just launched my first course today – so I’m going to relaunch October 1st with your guidance. I also want to move a free course I have through email now, to teachable to make it a more pleasant experience for my soon to be readers, and I would love to be inspired to create something new!

• Suzi Whitford

Love it!!! Preparing families and kids for Kindergarten – what a great niche!!! Keep me updated how it goes Jessica!

4. Melissa Myers

My big why is that I want to help women find security for themselves and their families through financial literacy.

December 1st

• Suzi Whitford

Yes! That’s wonderful Melissa! December 1st is super doable!

5. Nikki

My big why is to create a full time income from something I have been “playing” with for quite some time whilst helping people solve an organisational problem they are dealing with. The outline I have previously created for this course is huge, so I am setting a deadline for December 1st. (Also I lose the entire month of September with work and child committments.)

I love it Nikki – are you going to be the new Mari Kondo? 🙂

6. Amber Fox

My husband is a pastor and we have seven kids, so our income is very tight. We both have a heart for being a funnel to help other people financially, but feel so strained ourselves. We often have to sit back and watch others in need with no ability to help them. We want that to stop! We would like to gain financially independence for both our family and the people around us.

In addition, we would like to grow our multiple blogs into a family business in order to work with our kids when they become adults. We envision seeing each of them (if they want to) take an active role in our business. Our family is very close, so as our kids grow up and marry, we pray we can remain that way. Providing work for our kids and their families is another one of our big goals.

By Christmas, I would like to be making $500-$1000 a month as Step One of our goal. Then I hope to scale from there.

Thank you so much for this course! I’m beyond excited, as I’m a one year old blogger and have not yet truly monetized.

• Suzi Whitford

I love your goal Amber! God bless you! And this is very doable – keep us updated on your progress!

• Amber Fox

Thank you! I sure will! And thank you for the encouragement! I’m gonna do this!!! 🙂

7. steve

I will launch my initial phase by February of 2019 providing my niche is viable. Hence, one of the
    reasons I purchased this course.

Thanks

Steve

8. Trenna

My Why is to follow my purpose! Ive always known I wanted to encourage women and help them concur insecurities and to not be defined by there past or childhoods. I want to help people become who they are meant to be and be in love with themselves and to follow whatever dreams they have! Also to help my husband with finances. He works so much and so hard, that I would love to be able to bring in some extra so we can do more as a family! My Launch date is October 15!

• Suzi Whitford

Love it Trenna! I can hear your passion in your words. October 15 is great – go get ’em!

9. SJ

My big why is self-confidence. I want to know that I can do it too.

• Suzi Whitford

You can. There will be low moments. There will be days you want to give up. Keep pushing through – success comes with consistency.

10. Tamara Pflug

Thank you Suzi for all of this 🙂 I love the motivation here!! It’s really helping me 🙂

My big WHY is to create a business that will grow and grow in the long run and that will fulfill all of my biggest values (helping people feeling good about being themselves, being authentic, planning a life you love…) and to make sure that I won’t need to work as a teacher again, because I believe we can do so much more with education today (teaching more personal development things, that TRULY make us happy!).

I will take the next month to make sure about what my audience needs, and then, I want to work on it all September to launch my course on the 1st of October.

Let’s do this 🙂 good luck everybody 🙂 I 100% agree with you Suzi, it’s a huge investment in time and work but it’s definitely worth it!! We are our own limit 🙂

• Suzi Whitford

Yes! You got it Tamara! No amount of education helps if you don’t believe in yourself – personal development is so important! You got it!

11. Allison

My big WHY is to be able to send my daughter (and possible future children) to private Montessori school. I would also like our family to have extra spending money for activities and vacations. A blog is perfect for me, I’ve always wanted to start my own business and this allows me to do what I love (writing) and be home with my children!

I haven’t even launched yet but I’m currently working on everything, My goal for launch is October of this year and I’d like to launch my first course by January 2020.

• Suzi Whitford

Allison, great idea to launch the course in January! 🙂 People like to ‘start’ new things on the beginning of the month!

12. Kelly Huckaby

Three years ago my husband was diagnosed with a chronic illness. Since then, our lives have been filled with doctor appointments, hospital stays, and monthly treatments (4 consecutive days each month, for about 4 hours each day). Thankfully, our insurance is quite good. However, my husband can no longer do many of the things he used to do when it comes to home maintenance and remodeling. So, I need to create a steady income.

I cannot go out to work because I must be here during “treatment week.” I started out blogging but then turned to VA work. Now I have so many people contacting me for help, I need to manage my time wisely. A course will help me do that. I’m going to set a course completion date for October 1st. Life often gets in the way for me, but I need to do this. I need to get it done THIS year!

• Suzi Whitford

You can do it Kelly! Follow the productivity tips – you’ll be able to change your life! I can see you’re super proactive! And prayers to you and your family!

13. Heather

My BIG WHY: I want to launch my course by Feb. 1st so that I can make an extra $1000 per month by Aug. 1st of next year and give my husband some financial relief. He works way too hard and way too many hours at a dangerous job for us to be financially standing still. We have goals and dreams for our future and for our children who are not that young any more. I feel like we are running out of time and I really need to do this, NOW! Thank you, Suzi, for all of your wonderful courses. I have purchased every one of them in the past 3 months and I knew that I needed this one as soon as you announced it.

• Suzi Whitford

Aww wow, thank you Heather! I know you’ll make this successful – I can’t wait to hear about your launch and evergreen funnel!!

14. Tiff

I have two young sons with autism, and cannot work outside the home because of their needs. My husband left when I was pregnant with boy #2, and I have been single-momming it for the last 3 years, so my finances have plummeted. I was always incredibly financially stable before my marriage, and I want to get back to that, to be able to provide a much better life for my boys, without constantly worrying about being able to pay bills. I’m currently finishing up my first ebook, and have a course idea in mind, to begin as soon as the ebook is launched. My course completion date is November 30th, and I expect to make at least an extra $500/month with it. Thanks so much for making this course – it’s just the motivation I needed to keep moving forward!

• John Whitford

You can do this Tiff! I checked out your site – you may want to make your freebie a bit more prominent so you grow your email list faster to get ready for your launch 🙂

15. Lisa M

I am creating a blog and online courses for my non-profit job. My BIG why is so that I can prove to myself that I can do it… so I can start my own personal blog and courses and stay home with my little ones!! We don’t even have our blog running yet (waiting for board approvals… they don’t quite realize the importance of a blog yet…) so my deadline is Jan 1!

16. Haydee

I started it. I expect to launch on or before December 31st. I want to help the babies that are on the way and the mothers who are embarking on this breastfeeding journey. I want to prove to myself that I can help at least one new mother a day.

17. Vicki

I want to pay down the mortgage and then put the house up for sale and move closer to my daughter and granddaughter.
    I want to help young and older women find their voice and to empower them to be strong and not give up.
    I want to launch Jan 2019.

18. Jane

My BIG WHY is to constantly learn and growing self in order to improve my life and my family; and in turn, teach others to do the same! The deadline to create an online course is 30 days!

19. Sheryl Anderson

I want to create a course and launch it by December, so I can make at least $500-$1000 a month. I am an elementary school teacher, but I didn’t finish my degree until I was 39, because I was raising my children. Kentucky requires that teachers have a Master’s degree to keep our certificate, plus I recently completed another certification for a principalship. Needless to say, I have a ton of student loan debt, and I want to make enough money to wipe that out. My husband and I have a long term goal to retire debt free. I believe I can do this!

20. Chava

My big WHY is to truly help people with special needs kids and to also pay off my terrible debt! My deadline is January 1st!

21. Nicole

My husband is a pastor, and I’m a homeschooling mom to our 5 kids. His income alone isn’t enough to cover our monthly expenses, although God has been providing miraculously each month! We have been looking for ways for me to make more money online. I’ve had my “side hobby” website for 8 years, but have only done the bare minimum with it for the past 3 years. I’m working on reviving the blog and email list this month.

My goal for Course by Number is to put new life into my existing course, and create at least 1 new course by the end of the year so that we can be on track to earning $1000/month within the next 6 months.

22. Shey

My big why is that I want to be free of a typical day job so that I can travel around the world. I’ve just started traveling this year and I’m excited to see how many countries I can visit in my lifetime.

I enjoy helping other women with their technical hurdles in their online business so I can’t wait to launch my first course on Labor Day (Sept 3) and start making a difference.

23. Stacy

My big why is to start bringing in an extra $500 (or more) per month to help ease our finances. I eventually would like to work from home so that I can spend more time with my kids! A course, in addition to growing my blog (thanks to the help I’ve gotten from Blog by Number 😉) will hopefully help me to achieve these goals. I hope to have my course launched by December 31.

24. Victoria with One Sharp Mama

I want to launch my course by September 30th so I can make an extra $1000 + a month. This will help increase my income from all of my revenues from One Sharp Mama (www.onesharpmama.com) so I can quit my full time job and be able to stay home with my almost two year old and second daughter to be born about a month after launching. I don’t want to miss out on any more time with my girls and I’d love to be able to stay home with them while still providing moneywise for our family so my husband doesn’t have to work so hard and so much.

25. Diane

My BIG why is multi-faceted and intertwined! They all lead back to passive income as the foundation, yet the frame and trusses are the ability to spend more quality family time, ability to have time to write – which is a lifelong passion, time to volunteer for causes I support, time to more fully support my aging mother & disabled sister, being a role model showing my teenage son and young adult daughter that they can ultimately do anything they are disciplined and persistent with pursuing … and the roof on top is the crowning sense of accomplishment, confidence and pride I envision as I successfully achieve a goal I set out for myself 4 years ago when I started to learn about blogging, marketing and online business as a long term plan to replace my 35 year career in social services and plan for a retirement with purpose and abundant income. After 4 years of dedicated learning late nights and every weekend, I am ready to do this!

My timeline is to have a course ready to launch on September 30. I may not launch it then, as I need to build up my blog, create some challenges and other products for list building, oto, and brand recognition & authority. However, I do want to begin having some type of monetization in place by September 1 at the latest, and ideally launch the course no later than November 1. I do not have a specific dollar amount in mind – at this point – any revenue that would be beyond my expenses to begin would be ideal.

26. Sunni

My big why is our home and family. We built a house the beginning of this year and have many things we’d like completed in the yard and inside the home.I also want to be able to pay for fun activities for our children and family vacations in the future. I feel like we are pushed to the limit with our finances and an extra $500 a month for this would be amazing!

My goal date is Feb. 1. The holidays are coming up and in order to make sure we are spending ample time celebrating as a family, I want to provide a little extra time to create my course.

27. Cynthia

I want to be able to monetize my blog without solely depending on SEO, affiliates, Pinterest, etc. I am a teacher by profession and Course by Number seems like a great way for me to create a valuable product that I can sell. I hope to launch my course by November 1st.

28. Sarah Dowell

My goal is to launch by Dec 1st and begin by adding an extra $500-$1000 a month to my family’s income, then scale from there. Long term goal is to earn enough to be debt-free within 5 years.

My first ‘needs’ WHY is to attain financial freedom from debt and create enough for us to do the things we want to do in life.

My ‘soul’ WHY is to teach Mindful Parenting and Living to parents, teachers, and caregivers so that they may pass that on to our future generations.

29. Laura

I want to achieve this goal of creating my first online course and having a successful launch and evergreen product because I want to prove to myself that I can truly do it. That I can create an amazing income stream that will help sustain me and my family financially in the future and that helps me have faith in myself that all the time and energy i’ve put into focusing on my online businesses was truly worth it because i’m able to support not only myself but my loved ones through my blog and my online income streams (with help from awesome bloggers like Suzie of course 🙂 ). I’ve been working on building passive income streams for almost 2 years but only started my blog recently and I want to give my blog a real good go and ensure that I’m doing the very best to make the absolute most from it! – I’ve set my course deadline for the 28th September 2018. It’s a little tight but I really want to do it!

30. Kathryn Alexander

This course looks great! I am a single mom that does VA work from home. I feel very blessed to make enough for all the bills and fun we have and I want to show other moms how to do the same. I make enough to survive but want to save and go traveling a couple times a year so the money I make from courses would be saved to take my 4 children traveling and on vacations. I just started a blog and I am working on it slowly. I need to make more time to build it up. This course will help rev me up and give me more incentive. Thanks!

31. Vikki Higa

My why is to have a sustainable side income so I can leave my job.

32. Lauren @Simply-Well-Balanced

My goal is to launch my course by January 1st and to earn $500 or more per month through my blog.

I recently left a university 9-5 position to become a classroom teacher in order to spend more time with my children. They attend the school where I teach and it is wonderful to be able to see them every single day.

I bring almost 2 decades of experience and education that qualify me for much higher paying positions than teachers receive. However, what is most important to me is spending as much time with my children as possible while they are young and setting an example to them that they are much more important to me than my career.

My goal is for my blog to help supplement my income to the point where I earn what I know I am truly worth for what I bring to the table is expertise and passion. I have been a “helper” and “teacher” my entire life and launching a course is the best way for me to reach as many moms as possible.

33. Vanessa

My why is financial freedom! We want to be debt free! I want to be able to launch a course as soon as possible. My deadline is Halloween. My favorite time of the year!

34. Angela Leigh

Similar to yours, Suzi – to bring my husband home! I’d love him to be able to work as an engineer part time (he’s studying his degree) but to give him a break from the gruelling decade of working long hours in London jobs!

Submit a Comment