How to make money from a blog - a step by step course.
Let me hold your hand and show you how to grow and monetize your blog. Join over 1,000 other students who love the course!
I’ve grown my blog to over $20,000/mo in less than two years. You can do this too and be able to work from home!
Let me help you.
How to Choose a Blog Niche and Name
Almost daily I receive one or two emails from wonderful mommas asking me what they should blog about. They really want to start a blog and share their voice with the world, but when it comes to deciding on one niche, they stop. They freeze for weeks not even knowing where to begin. It’s one thing to decide on a niche, and again another huge decision to find the perfect blog name.
I feel like I’ve spent more time deciding names for my blogs than I have for my two daughters. For my girl’s I had a short list, three names that I could pick from. But for my blog, oh goodness, the list is endless. What makes it so difficult is that the first name you have in mind is most likely already taken. So you’re stuck trying to come up with a blog name that you love and that is not already taken. It’s hard! Why does blogging have to start with two enormous decisions.
What will I blog about and what will my blog be called?
Now I can tell you the right answer and share with you the expert advice. And please read it as it will help you. But once you’re done with the list below, go on and read the reality of choosing a blog name.
- Niche Down
- Don’t blog about everything. Find a niche that you can dive deeply into and help others along the way. When people come to your site they need to know why they are there. Don’t let your readers lose themselves between recipes, travel posts and the best toys for Christmas. The riches are in the niches.
- Be Unique
- How do you stick out in the world of blogging? You incorporate yourself into your blog. Because copying another person’s personality and style is much harder than copying their words. Post original content. Instead of repeating what the internet has already said, add to the conversation.
- Is It Profitable?
- If you want to eventually make money with your blog, you need to choose a profitable niche. Is it something that people are willing to pay for? And in many ways most niches can be profitable. Take for example Laura from IHeartPlanners – she has a hugely profitable blog by selling online planners! Amazing!
- Are You Passionate About it?
- Do you love talking about this topic? Can you write about this topic for months and months? For potentially years? For example, if you want to niche into cloth diapering – will your children still be in diapers three years from now? Will you still want to write about it? Sounds scary right? And this is what scares a lot of beginning bloggers. But keep reading, it get’s better.
Alright, so those 4 elements are important. But how important are they on day 1? When you’re just starting out as a blogger and learning new things daily? Let me explain below.
The Reality of a Niche and Blog Name
I want to be 100% honest with you, your blog niche and name is not THAT important on day 1. I promise you it will change. You will spend weeks and weeks trying to figure out the best niche. And then another ten days coming up with a list of 100 potential blog names. You will find that 90% of them are already taken and that you really don’t like the remaining 10%.
But want some honest advice? Just choose one and go with it! If you have the passion to start a blog, and you put in the time, it will be successful no matter what you call it. (Of course don’t choose a blog name with vulgar language, please.)
Choose a generic and simple blog name and start blogging. The more you write, the more you will find your voice and niche. Heck, you may even switch blogs completely after a few months and start over. You will get more traction with action. 🙂You will get more traction with action. 🙂 Click To Tweet
Don’t fall into analysis paralysis and over think this. The successful bloggers did not become successful because they sat around thinking all the time, they took action, made mistakes, learned from them and grew. You can do this too!
Some Real Life Examples of Blog Niches and Names
Money Saving Mom
I admire Crystal from MoneySavingMom.com. Her niche is obviously sharing deals and saving tips for moms. But she also shares about her life on her blog, home and family posts, and her courses to make over your mornings and evenings. And because her courses became so popular, she switched them to a new domain (http://makeoveryourmornings.com/). You can do that too!
Don’t let the fear of choosing the perfect blog name and niche today stop you from starting this wonderful blogging journey. No matter what name and niche you chose today, you will change. And a year from now you will want to do something different. The best thing you can do today is just to start somewhere.
Just a Girl and Her Blog
Another example is Abby from JustaGirlAndHerBlog.com. Now that’s a super generic blog name. You have no idea what she blogs about by just reading her domain name. But she posts about decorating, about organizing and also about running her blog. She has even shared that she at times does not love her blog name. And even she created different blogs for her products, such as Building a Framework.
Start a Mom Blog
Even I have days when I don’t like my blog name. Only after a few months I realized that some of my readers were confused if my site is for moms who want to start blogs or is it for women who want to start mom blogs. Eeek!!
I have to admit, it is a little confusing. And it can work both ways, but it is more geared towards moms who want to start blogs. But it’s working for me and I love my little home on the internet. It’s not perfect, but neither am I. Why do I expect my blog to be?
Do What Nike Says 🙂
Sometimes ‘Just Do It’ works the best! If you really dislike your blog name and niche after a few months, no one is stopping you from choosing a different name and niche and starting again. This is the benefit of being a beginning blogger, you have the ability to change and pivot as much as you wish because your audience is still small.
So I highly encourage you to dive in, test things out, and go with it! You will learn so much more from actually doing it, than by waiting to take perfect action. Everything in the beginning as a blogger is an adventure. It’s fun! Don’t stress out about the little things. The more you test and try, the quicker you will reach success.
Back in my corporate life this practice of ‘try-storming’ is called moonshining in Lean. Instead of investing thousands of dollars in new equipment, the Lean leader and her team would construct items out of boxes or creform to test ideas out quickly. Apply this to blogging, try and test and have some fun! 🙂
This little guide on how to choose a domain is super helpful too!
Blog Name Generators
You can also use these free tools to help you generate the perfect blog name!
Wordoid – Blog Name Generator
Wordoid generates fun made-up words that sound great. Look what happens when I typed in the word mom. www.momenon.com anyone?
NameMesh – Blog Name Generator
Type in the words you would like to put in your blog name into NameMesh and see all the beautiful names it suggests. It even has a section for best SEO blog names! I am so using this for my next blog! 🙂
BLOGGING NICHE IDEAS
Need help deciding on a niche? Check out the niche and post ideas below to get started.
Be true to you. I am not a funny girl and I have the hardest time incorporating humor into my posts. But I love helping others and creating how-to tutorials – that is my strength. Do what works for you. Let your personality shine through, there is no one like you online, so be unique and embrace it.
- The pros and cons of breastfeeding
- Best breastfeeding clothes and equipment
- Pumping while at home / while at work
- Breastfeeding twins
- How to potty train your toddler – ask Becky how she did it!
- How to reduce tantrums
- How to help your toddler eat veggies
- Teach others to paint or draw
- Share quick tutorial videos
- Teach calligraphy online
- My faith journey
- The prayers that carry me as a mom
- The verses that changed my life
- Or start a online prayer club
- The true life of a soccer mom
- 101 ways to talk to a baby
- If my toddler chose my wardrobe